Romanticism: Life, Literature and Landscape
Discover the working methods of Romantic poets and trace the evolution of celebrated verse with the manuscript collections of the Wordsworth Trust.
This digital resource offers unparalleled access to the single largest collection of working notebooks, verse manuscripts and correspondence of William Wordsworth and his fellow writers anywhere in the world. With access to the annotated full manuscripts of such notable works as The Prelude and Michael, or Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s Dejection: An Ode this project is unrivalled in its content and scope.
- Explore William Wordsworth’s original verse manuscripts, working notebooks and some printed, annotated, editions.
- Explore the places that inspired literary creativity and poetic genius by tracing the movements of Romantic writers, poets and artists, in and around the Lake District with an interactive map.
- View over two thousand fine art pieces from celebrated artists such as John Constable, J.M.W. Turner, Thomas Gainsborough, Benjamin Robert Haydon and John Ruskin.
- Search guide books, and eighteenth and nineteenth century maps of the Lake District from the digital collection of Martin and Jean Norgate.
- Autograph books
- Travel journals
- Financial records and receipts
- Verse manuscripts by other Romantic writers including Samuel Taylor Coleridge and Thomas de Quincey